In my post Tuesday, I asked you to share what’s on your Christmas list as a translator/interpreter/business owner. These are a few things that have been on my wish-list for a while, but haven’t made it into my professional budget (yet). Feel free to steal ideas to surprise your favorite linguist this holiday season!
- The Language of the Law, by David Mellinkoff
- Hungarian: An Essential Grammar, by Carol H. Rounds
- difficultés expliquées du français . . . for English speakers, by Alain Vercollier et.al.
- Woe is I: The Grammarphobe’s Guide to Better English in Plain English, by Patricia T. O’Conner
- Custom-color pens (a pipe dream, really. The closest approximation I can think of is a fountain pen with Sailor New Style Purple ink.)
Did this get you thinking more? Share your ideas here! Use the hashtag #translatorXmas if you answer on Twitter. Just think of the headaches you’ll save your friends, family, and colleagues. The shopping’s practically done for them!
P.S.—The Quack This Way book giveaway is still open for entries. Get a copy as a present from me to you, or to gift to your favorite writer.